My experiences trying to learn the art of surfing

I am five months through a six month journey to improve my surfing with the sole (soul?) intention of surfing waves comfortably that will get me in the green room. I've spent three months in Indonesia and have been scatting around Central America surfing the El Salvador, Costa Rica and Nicaragua. I'm travelling with my fifth board, Zak (6'3 / 18 3/4 and 2 3/8).

I thought I'd blog about my experience learning to surf as its such a tough, long journey. Somedays you get it, your timings perfect and you zip down the line, most days you don't. Surfing has been so good for my ego. I've never been so bad at something, despite trying so hard but something just keeps me out there, no matter how bad I am. The sea, the ocean, the soul.

Monday, October 8, 2012

LA Style with the Dump Rider Crew

I was lucky enough to surf with some locals while transiting through Los Angeles. Considering the size of that place, having access to a car and some new friends is necessary to get around. Public transit in LA is a pretty scary concept and it would take a committed surfer to bus to the good surfing beaches.

My Hawaiian friend, Randy who I met in Pacitan, Java put me in contact with Matt, his younger brother. Through Matt, I met various members of the Dump Rider Crew - a group of local LA surfers.....'struggling to improve' (ain't that the truth!) and surfing at every opportunity possible.  'Leave egos at the door, and surf for the love of it!' is this crew's philosophy.


Old Man's, San Onofre State Park
My first surf was at San Onofre State Park over a long weekend. A 4 - 6 foot swell was forecast and Matt had a friend with a beach side campsite on the army base. Christina, a fellow yogi, surfer and good friend of Matt's, picked me at from the hostel at a very early hour and together we drove to Matt's place in El Segundo. From there, we piled into one car and took off an hour south in San Diego county.

The swell was rolling through when we arrived with a number of different peaks firing nicely. Being a long weekend and all, it was unbelievably crowded but a wave is a wave is a wave and its always nice to get wet. I didn't even stop to consider that the water temperature would be significantly less the Costa Rica and my bikini's and rash guard were not going to cut it. 

The first duck dive was a killer and I was lucky enough to score six on the head on the way out. It is always nice to time the entry well. I tried to take off on a few but struggled to find my rhythm. It was really crowded, really cold and my buoyancy in the water was different to that of Indonesia and Central America. I felt like I was sitting lower in the water and just couldn't move through it at the same pace as I had. I gave up after 45 minutes, sprinted out of the water and run to Rick's campsite to warm my hands up over the stove top. 

The rest of the crew - Khang, Sheryl, Rick, Christina and Matt dribbled in over the next few hours and joined me for coffee and breakfast. I'm not sure anyone had an epic surf, with that crowd it was almost impossible but each had a few fun waves. 

The wind picked up for the rest of the day, so we sat reading, eating, chatting and waited out the late afternoon glass off. I managed to borrow Matt's wettie for the session which made all the difference. I had such a fun surf at Old Mans on a 6'1 Spyder (similar to a fish) belonging to Rick. At 22 inches wide, it was so easy to paddle on to the waves and pull down the line. After such a dismal surf in the morning, I was relieved to have some fun and take nice little waves. 


My final surf with the Dump Rider crew was at Manhattan Beach, their local break. The wave is a series of beach breaks running from the sewerage factory along the coast for a few kilometres. It reminded me way too much of surfing Scarborough Beach over summer to really enjoy myself but it was nice to meet more of the local crew and catch up with Christina and Matt again. Looking forward to surfing waves in the warmer waters of El Salvador!

8 comments:

  1. nice write up!! i take it Scarborough Beach isn't that great of a place to surf from your tone? hahaha it was so great meeting you!! i hope our paths cross again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey KK................Scarborough is Manhattans south side doppelgänger.......I could it get over how similar those two waves were! Awesome to meet you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bec . . . what a great writeup. It's so nice to read from your perspective. I forgot about the DRC philosohpy, and to tell the truth I never officially adopted it as "the philosophy," but thanks for reminding me. I guess it does fit our group very well. I'm so glad that we all got to hang out and be a slice out of your journey. We will meet again, whether it's in Indo, Oz, or here in the states. I'll be following your blog for more inspiration and material. Take care out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! This made me further believe that surfing is not just your ordinary water sport. In fact, after watching the true-life story of a surfer named Bethany Hamilton in the film Soul Surfer, surfers, once again, earned my respect and admiration. Anyway, reading you post makes me want to go to a beach resort this summer to give surfing another try. I've always been a noob in this activity, but I really like doing it. Could you suggest any place near Alabama?

    Darius Cartmell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darius, don't worry about being a noob at surfing. Everyone is at one point. It's all about having fun. I do not know anything about surfing Alabama, but here's a link that might help. Good luck to you, and I hope you get some surf stoke for yourself.

      http://www.surfline.com/travel/surfmaps/surfmap.cfm?id=9

      Delete
    2. Hi Darius. I've been away from my blog for awhile, sorry for the delay! But Donny is a USA local so advice from him is probably better then me! I'm in Australia. Head to Central America. El Salvador has great waves for all levels. Good luck

      Delete
  5. Informative post!! Thanks for sharing all the useful facts!
    scuba gear package

    ReplyDelete